Monday, August 13, 2012

Views

The bathroom with the second best view I've ever been pleased to relieve myself in was on Isla Amantani in Lake Titicaca. It was one of those stone plaster affairs you only see in desert climates and the developing world- with an open air window overlooking first the flowering garden and then the limitless horizon of that enormous inland lake. Rob and I took a trip there, after stopping overnight in uninviting Puno- a place akin to Red Deer in overall appeal. I think we drank some boxed wine in the hostel and didn't even consider looking for anything else to do. I always remember that bathroom. Best view goes unequivocally to piss plunging into a dark void off the unfinished heli-pad on the shoulder of Lady Macdonald, watching headlights snake down the highway a thousand feet below, full of whisky, low on supplies, high in spirits.

No comments: